Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Iain Greenlees 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     Iain Greenlees 

Hi all,

I hope that you have all had a chance to look through the ABC coaching manual that will take you through the basics of the Self-Determination Theory inspired intervention for this program. I have attached it to this post in case you want another copy of the manual!

I thought I would start this discussion just to start a discussion of the intervention. If you have any questions, observations, reservations, things you would like me to clarify then please do ask here and I will do my best to answer your questions and discuss ways in which you can use the intervention in your coaching.

Best wishes and good luck with all you are doing
    Iain

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
     Iain Greenlees 

Hi all,

I have had a couple of updates back from people so thank you for that. I have attached them here for people to read and compare to the work that they have been doing. There are some good ideas being used in these examples and the ABC principles are clearly being used. Please feel free to use this forum to ask questions of each other and how you are each using the ABC principles.

Thanks again
    Iain

Attachments:
       Iain Greenlees 

Another update….

According to the coaching intervention “ABC” Handbook and because we believe in its philosophy, the sessions with the groups were following the recommendations of the specific approach.
      AUTONOMY
      Each group defined the rules jointly so that each element would feel responsible for its behaviour and for other participants’ performance in the group. The groups selected, in order of preference, the activities previously defined by the group mentor or defined by themselves. All the activities were selected according to the intellectual, physical and social profile of each element.
      BELONGINGNESS
      Regarding to belonginess, emphasis was placed on the different potentialities and individual difficulties of each element, respecting their diversity, their subjectivity and the capacity of each one. The members of the groups valued the fact that they were the ones to choose and decide the name of the group, strengthening the identity of the group. Throughout the sessions, it was visible the increasing interest of the members of each group to participate actively in the activities and encourage their colleagues.
      COMPETENCE
      It was very important to recognize and exalt the individual characteristics of each person and the use of them positively on the behalf of the group. At the end of each session, the members were praised for their behaviour, involvement and how crucial it was to carry out the activities. At certain sessions, the particiants were placed in a position where they had to praise their colleagues, allowing the group to be cohesive. In the most difficult activities it was necessary to resort to positive verbal reinforcement, for exemple: “You are able…” and ” See what you have achieved so far…”
      Lousã, September/2018
      Alcindo Quaresma
      João Canossa Dias
      Joana Cortês
      Sabine Felícia

Please keep them coming

Attachments:
       Iain Greenlees 

And another – thank you…..

The program starts with a short conversation about everything athletes want to share with the team. Before each task we discuss why this may be helpful for us and at the end of the session we ask people for some thoughts on what they would like to do next time (planning together) and asking for feedback on how it could be better and have more fun. We have some different tasks that participants can choose from and share their thoughts about difficulties or about their goals or whatever they want to share. Participation is not compulsory so the participants can sit out once in a while.
      The team has already choose a team name and a common colour on their shirts. We have to get earlier to the session in case anyone wants to chat also we may have some time with everyone finding out how was their weak. The participants works like a team and in shorter teams in the team expressing their ideas or setting common goals. All teams members have a clear and important role in the team and everybody knows and understands how everyone contributes in the team.
      All the athletes likes knows and feels that they can do things in right way from everyone and receive a positive comment about their effort, it is also important don’t worry about trying new things and making mistakes. It is also important knows the way how to improve so the athletes have a specific feedback on what they have done well or not (That must discussed private and never in front of the whole team players strengths or weakness).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 ALIVE & KICKING Program

Forgot your details?